Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Taking the Long Way home!

Many of my close friends will tell you that i am an avid skater and always have been since the age of 12. I started with snakeboards and progressed to streetboards and competed many times in various skate jams, meeteings, and events.

However, whilst i was always into my pipes and rails, i never really boasted of my longboarding passion. I fell in love with my first long board when i was 16. I was at the skate shop buying Kyrptonics for my streetboard when i saw it lying up against the wall. 46" Gordon and Smith FibreFlex. Beautiful! I had to have it, so i saved up my money and bought it! Currently, i own three longboards. The FibreFlex, and two Sector 9 boards! But due to the weight of the Sector 9's i could only bring the fibreflex to KL.

Its hard to describe the feeling and pleasure that longboarding gives me. Leaning into a corner and just feeling the board turn is an experience i never tire of. Its not about how fast you can go, or what tricks you can do, its simply about movement. Going from A to B. There is a street in my neighbourhood, its about 300 metres long, and has a small gradient to it of 25 degrees (maybe less). There is one 90 degree turn to the left. The surface is flawless and very wide. I am there at 6pm every evening, just crusing and carving listening to artists such as Krafy Kutz, Herbaliser, Dj Kentaro, DJ food & DK, and Jurrasic 5.

A combination of a great spot to ride, spectacular board, and phat beats puts me into my own little slice of heaven. Longboarding isn't about showing off, or who is the best rider, its just simply about being one with motion.

So do yourself a favour, go buy a board, and take the long way home!
My music recomendation for today:
Way of the exploding crates (Krafty Kutz, Slam on the Breaks)

No comments: